300 Years Old
Our Church Today
Saint George the Martyr church, Queen Square, first opened its door for worship and community support in 1706. It was designated a parish church in its own right in 1723: for over three hundred years the church has been a beating heart of integrity and compassion for local residents and commuting workers, not to mention the countless local educationaland healthcare institutions and business enterprises.
Over three centuries, successive dedicated clergy, church councils andcongregations have sought to keep the building in a state of repair that reflects its societal status and cultural significance, not to mention a safe and warm environment out of which to meet the needs of the local populace. All works have been completed without a funding stream from the wider Church of England. And this is still the case to this day. The church building is now very old and very tired, with broken plaster, peeling paint and inadequate heating: all funds required to repair and redecorate must be found locally.
Sadly, Saint George the Martyr church, Queen Square, is now on the Heritage “At Risk” register: our honest hope and devout prayer is that we can rescue the building from decline and reverse its prospects, that it would stand for another 300 years, helping countless generations to come.